In what is one of the most well–known passages in Revelation, John writes:
Rev 13:16-18 He causes all, the small and the great, the rich and the poor, and the free and the slave, to be given marks on their right hands, or on their foreheads; and that no one would be able to buy or to sell, unless he has that mark, the name of the beast or the number of his name. Here is wisdom. He who has understanding, let him calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. His number is six hundred sixty-six. (WEB)
How do proponents of the three main prophetic viewpoints interpret this mark of the beast?
- the emperor’s image on Roman coins
- the certificate of sacrifice to the emperor
- the practice of making the sign of the cross
- SDA: an international Sunday law
- Mark of commerce – most likely a credit facility in the form of a microchip implant or RFID tag.